Brothers are allowed and encouraged to live in the house, but doing so is not a requirement. Although only about half of our undergraduate members are typically living in the house at any given point, most brothers do choose to “live in” for part of their tenure at UCLA. On top of enabling brothers to coexist in an environment that encourages academic and social development, the house provides a considerably cheaper alternative to living on the Hill and includes 10 weekly meals prepared by our in-house chef.
The Alpha Zeta chapter of Theta Xi was founded in 1928 and became one of the first fraternities at UCLA, as well as the first to have a house on campus. In fact, since we got to choose our street address, the number of every other building on fraternity row is based on a decision our founders made almost a century ago!
Here are just a few of the many amenities our house has to offer:
- 30 bedrooms and sleeping porches (some are equipped with lofts) accommodating 1-3 people each
- Quiet, secluded library stocked with a collection of novels, textbooks, encyclopedias, and more
- Fireplace-equipped living room with ping-pong, billiards, darts, and a projector screen TV
- One public and three private restrooms (all containing showers), cleaned twice weekly
- Wi-Fi and Ethernet cables providing high-speed Internet access throughout the house
- Pantry replenished weekly with a variety of self-serve breakfast cereals
- Poolside bar, charcoal barbecue, patio tables, and basketball half-court
- 800 sq. ft. heated pool (the only working one on fraternity row!)
- Large dining room accommodating approximately 70 people
- Additional basement and poolside shed storage space
- DirecTV subscription with HBO, FX, and Showtime
- 8-car parking lot with additional curbside parking
- Kitchen stocked with cooking and baking utensils
- Elevated backyard patio with a working fire pit
- Coca-Cola® soda fountain and ice machine
- Vending machine, restocked regularly
- Private basement bar and lounge
- Fully-stocked tool closet
- Mail and package room
- Washers and dryers
Membership dues and alumni funding support general house upkeep as well as such current projects as the complete renovation of our basement bar, the installation of a deck on the hillside overlooking our pool, and the conversion of our backyard patio into an outdoor canopied gym.